Login

Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Random Quote

She's got summer teeth...... Summer pointing this way and summer pointing that way - Will Tweed at GY.

Member Poll

A cue is like an extension to your arm for many players. Some people keep their's for years while others replace them every 6 months. How long have you owned your current cue?

You must login to vote.
GLCPA GLCPA Inter League
Your views on GLCPA Interleague going forward
Username
Password
Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Today's Posts Search

Print Thread

Your views on GLCPA Interleague going forward
by: Cocked-Hat, 16-09-2019 02:44 PM (#1)

The County would be interested in hearing what you think of the current GLCPA Interleague format regarding League matches.
Pretty soon the County will be sitting down and preparing for the 2020 season, so I'm keen to know your opinions. This is your chance to have your say.

Do we need to make changes or is everything relatively OK ?
Do you like the round robin format ?
Are there too many matches ?
If more teams joined Interleague and there were a couple of extra matches, would that be OK ?
Do you have suggestions for an alternate format ?
Would you like to see promotion and relegation introduced rather than one large round robin format ?
Any other statement on GLCPA Interleague you'd like to make.

You can't hurry a craftsman.
Cocked-Hat
Committee Member

RE: Your views on GLCPA Interleague going forward
by: tonygriffindor, 16-09-2019 03:58 PM (#2)

The points system needs a rethink if I’m being honest. The frame = point system doesn’t work and I don’t think it’s really fair. You could win all your games and another team could win 8/10 for example and because they have more frames they win the league. Should be in my opinion 3pts for a win.

It's good, but it's not quite Griffindor.
tonygriffindor
Juniors Team

by: pickwickpoolshark, 17-09-2019 09:02 AM (#3)

i think this new format this season has been a great idea, but a little testing....playing 13 matches in an interleague season when a lot of us play county and whatever nights during the week has had its effect on some....we play interleague on a friday night, then play county on a sunday when some of us are family men, ersonally i think playing 13 matches, travelling allover london is too much......

its only an idea, but the thought of playing 2 divisions appeals to me, where there is a relegated and promoted system for teams, that way the best teams end up in one division and all end up playing together.......theres nothing worse for morale than when you take a 3rd team from one league, travel to morden as an example 3 times in one season knowing fine well on 2 of the occasions you going to get bashed up....its bad for the team, bad for morale and then its down to the captain to raise morale again.

yes this season has been an experience but im not sure it is the way forward.
pickwickpoolshark
SLKPA

by: scott_shephard, 18-09-2019 07:42 AM (#4)

I like this season's format and everyone playing everyone is the fairest way. As for the points system I agree with Tony Griffin as far as you could win all games but not win the league however as it is it means every frame counts
scott_shephard
General Member

by: TheSledge, 21-09-2019 11:06 PM (#5)

It does feel that round-robin with 14 teams makes for a very long season, with little time for making adjustments to squads before the next one begins.

I have an idea for another structure, with possibility for discussion on some of the finer details:

Start with 2 groups of 7 teams (groups 1 and 2, say)
Play round robin within each group, so 6 matches per team
Introduce a second phase where the top 3 teams from each group enter group A, the remainder form group B
Each team plays all teams in their new group that they didn't play in the first phase (e.g. a team that qualified for group A from group 1 plays the teams that finished in the top three of group 2)
Teams in Group A will occupy places 1-6 in the final standings, regardless of whether a team in Group B ends with more points overall

All teams would play either 9 or 10 matches under this format, which seems I reasonable midpoint between this season and the previous few.

The mid-season split is similar to how the Scottish Premiership operates, the idea being I guess that a team's placing would be more dependent on results against teams of similar quality than those from relative mismatches.

One issue is that teams and venues wouldn't know which nights during the second half of the season they would be hosting matches until the first is done, but if that can be overcome it could be worth pursuing.

As far as the points system goes, if we want to retain the incentive to win frames towards the end of matches, there could be some bonus point system to reward big wins or narrow defeats. For example, there could be a fixed total of 5 points to be split between the teams as follows:

Scoreline 14-13 or 15-12 -> winning side awarded 3 points, losing side 2
Winning team scores between 16 and 19 -> 4-1 point split
Winning team scores 20+ -> 5-0 point split

Might be too much detail but I do like a convoluted system!

Chris Hobbis
TheSledge
General Member

by: Cocked-Hat, 23-09-2019 10:39 AM (#6)

Chris, some very interesting ideas here to consider. Thank you.

I need to get the ball rolling in October to start to get ideas together for 2020.
It's either continue the same format or change it to groups/divisions etc so your suggestion is much appreciated and certainly something I hadn't considered but makes good sense.
At County Committee yesterday we briefly discussed possible Interleague formats and point systems. To a man we all believe a point per frame ought to remain, for many reasons. However the format would firstly depend on how many teams enter. If it increases in 2020 then we haven't enough dates for a complete round robin, so it would have to change. Secondly if the same amount of teams entered then we are likely to offer it to the captains to decide democratically what format they wish to go for.

More suggestions from all Interleague players would be greatly appreciated.
You may have to register to join the website before you can comment, but it's free and simple so please get involved.

Cocked-Hat
Committee Member

by: Joe Slaughter, 25-09-2019 12:04 PM (#7)

From London City perspective, we would strongly support Chris' suggestion of 2 similar strength groups initially, then split into 2 separate groups and play the teams you haven't yet played. We would suggest the top 4 go into the top group for the second phase.

Also, with this format we think that only the results against the teams who have moved to the same group as you should carry forward, otherwise if one of the initial groups turns out to be significantly weaker, there is an unfair advantage for teams coming from that group who have got big scores against the weaker teams.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Slaughter
General Member

by: Cocked-Hat, 25-09-2019 02:35 PM (#8)

Yes Joe I take your point. It makes sense.
Thanks for your input.

More opinions from all players still needed.
Please take time to get involved.
No comment = don't care.

Cocked-Hat
Committee Member

by: scott_shephard, 1 week ago 09:10 AM (#9)

This idea from Chris sounds ok
scott_shephard
General Member

Options

Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard

Share this Thread

URL:
BBcode:
HTML:
Render time: 0.17 seconds
37,023,559 unique visits